Thabo Makhetha showcases at #SAFW

image

I have never been so happy to see a Monday because that means that Fashion Week is behind us (for now…). It has been a crazy two weeks with MBFWJ and SAFW both demanding our attention..I will definitely be doing a post about my fashion week experience and how it has differed from when I first started in this industry.  But for now, I want to take a moment to share one of my favourite shows from SAFW, Thabo Makhetha.  A close friend and amazing designer, this was Thabo’s first time at SAFW.  After having her work showcased at Design Indaba after Design Indaba as well as Vancouver Fashion Week, it was so great to welcome her on the big stage in her home.

The Thabo Makhetha brand has always been synonymous with designs using the traditional Basotho blankets.  Last year we did a campaign for her Basotho blanket coats (seen here) and it cemented her aesthetic.  I was quite happy to see that with her SS15 collection, she took a slight departure from the Basotho coats that we are use to, giving us something new; feminine and elegantly light  dresses, while still incorporating her signature Basotho aesthetic in the accessories. I loved the vibrant colour palette of burnt orange, reds, green, black and white, reminiscent of African sunsets and awe-inspiring landscapes. The clothing was complimented by jewelery by Pichulik, Afrigarde and over-sized necklaces by Pieces.  

I am so excited to see what Thabo has in store for us in the future.  I fell in love with so many items and the evening dresses are closet must-haves.  I think that its vital to to support out own local designers and to appreciate our own aesthetics. Check out some snaps from her show and some of my favourite looks.

Clothing: Thabo Makhetha/ Neckpieces: Pichulik, Afrigarde & Pieces/ Shot at SA Fashion Week SS15

image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image

After show fun with Thabo Makhetha and model, Ole Morapedi.

Share:

0 comments